Zoom on the Champion 200991
In summary, the Champion 200991 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200991 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3150 rated watts and 4500 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The running time of the 200991, with its 2.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 14 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 21 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.22 GPH).
As the 200991 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 200991 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 103 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 200991's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital Intelligauge data center, giving you information on the voltage, lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 200991 also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and oil. An official storm cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 200991 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200991 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200991 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 103 lbs, the Champion 200991 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 200991 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200954, with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200991 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h||21 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200991 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||4287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.