Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + USB ports
Zoom on the Champion 200989
In a nutshell, the Champion 200989 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200989's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 200989 can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.3 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 200989 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Champion 200989 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the 200989's weight is only 95 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle.
To help you monitor the 200989's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200989's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Champion 200989 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200989 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200989 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 95 pounds, the Champion 200989 places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 61 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The 200989, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 14 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Champion 200989 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200989 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Can an electric start kit be installed on this model champion 200989 (Asked March 30, 2021)
There are no official electric start kits for this unit. That said, it exists in an alternate version, the Champion 200990, which has an electric (and remote) start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.