Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + USB ports
Zoom on the Champion 200989
In summary, the Champion 200989 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200989's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.3 gallons, the 200989 can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
As the 200989 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200989's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 95 lbs of the 200989's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
The control panel of the 200989 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200989, the following accessories are also included: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Champion 200989 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200989 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200989 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 95 pounds, the Champion 200989 falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM3300i, with a dry weight of just 47.4 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 61 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 14 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the 200989 falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Champion 200989 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200989 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Can an electric start kit be installed on this model champion 200989 (Asked March 30, 2021)
There are no official electric start kits for this unit. That said, it exists in an alternate version, the Champion 200990, which has an electric (and remote) start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.