Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + USB ports
Zoom on the Champion 200986
In summary, the Champion 200986 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200986's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaKink parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The fuel capacity of 2.3 gallons allows the 200986 to operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 200986 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.7 x H20.1 in), the Champion 200986, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 95 lbs of the 200986's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
To help you monitor the 200986's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200986's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit, dual port USB adapter and oil.
The Champion 200986 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200986 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200986 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 95 pounds, the Champion 200986 finds itself in the expected weight range for inverter generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 61 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Given that the 200986 reaches an autonomy of up to 14 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Champion 200986 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (61 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200986 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
will it run a small air compressor 2.5 gallon 110 volt (Asked March 23, 2021)
Hard to tell without more specifics, but it should be able to handle a 1HP air compressor (1500 runnings watts and 4500 startings watts on average). To be sure, you'd need to estimate the actual wattage needs of your appliance.
Does it have a fuel shut off to run it out of gas? (Asked October 10, 2022)
The unit does not have a separate shutoff valve. The only way to burn off the remaining fuel in the carburetor is to let the engine run until fuel starvation.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.