Zoom on the Champion 200978
In a nutshell, the Champion 200978 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200978 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3650W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3285 rated watts and 4500 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 200978, with a fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 17 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 21 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.22 GPH) with propane.
The 200978 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 200978, which are L21.3 x W18.1 x H18.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 200978's dry weight of 76 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
If you wish to transport the 200978 more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The control panel of the 200978 includes a digital Intelligauge data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours, frequency and voltage.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200978 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel, oil, propane hose and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 200978 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 200978 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200978 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 200978 weighs only 76 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 200978 offers up to 17 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Champion 200988, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 200978 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (76 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W||3285 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps||27.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||21 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.3 x 18.1 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200978 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.