Zoom on the Champion 200971
In a nutshell, the Champion 200971 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200971 houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3650W along with a peak wattage of 4550W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). The 200971 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The 200971 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200971 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 118 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the 200971's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200971, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel and key fob. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 200971 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200971 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200971 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 118 pounds, the Champion 200971 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the 200971 boasts with a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 200971 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (118 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Champion 200971 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4550 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200971 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2892 W||3892 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2890 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1800 W||4500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.