Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + CO sensor
Gas + Remote start
Dual fuel + Manual start
Dual fuel + Manual start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Electric start
Dual fuel + Electric start + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 200970
In a nutshell, the Champion 200970 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200970 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,650W along with a peak wattage of 4,550W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,285 rated watts and 4,100 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the 200970, with a 4.7 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The 200970 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 200970, which are L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 110 pounds. To enhance the generator's mobility, it is worth considering purchasing an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The control panel of the 200970 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200970 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel and propane hose.
The Champion 200970 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 200970 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200970 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 110 pounds, the Champion 200970 places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN DF402iX, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 68 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200970 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 200970 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|224 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, and propane hose
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200970 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.