Zoom on the Champion 200969
In a nutshell, the Champion 200969 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200969 is powered by a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3650W as well as a peak wattage of 4550W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 200969 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 200969 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The design of the Champion 200969 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Thus, you may also want to consider purchasing its official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The 200969's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200969 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 200969 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200969 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200969 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 103 pounds, the Champion 200969 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200969 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 200969 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4550 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200969 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2892 W||3892 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2890 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1800 W||4500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.