Zoom on the Champion 200966
In a nutshell, the Champion 200966 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200966 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4375W. When propane-powered, it has 3150 rated watts and 3950 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the 200966 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), or for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH) using propane.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 200966 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L24.7 x W25 x H22.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 200966 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 123 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 200966's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200966's package also includes these accessories: cover, propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Champion 200966 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200966 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200966 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 123 lbs, the Champion 200966 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200966 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200966 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (123 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||3950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.7 x 25 x 22.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, cover, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200966 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does this model have a low oil warning feature? (Asked July 26, 2021)
It doesn't, but it does have a low oil sensor that will prevent the engine from running if the oil level is too low.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.