Zoom on the Champion 200965
In summary, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200965 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4375W. When propane-powered, it has 3150 rated watts and 3950 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 200965, with a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH) with propane.
Since the 200965 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200965 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 108 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. To enhance the generator's mobility, it is worth considering purchasing an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The 200965 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200965, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 108 pounds, the Champion 200965 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM3300i, weighing just 47.4 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- As the 200965 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200965 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||3950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.