Zoom on the Champion 200965
In a nutshell, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 200965 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a starting wattage of 4,375W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,150 rated watts and 3,950 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the 200965 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), or for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH) using propane.
The 200965 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 200965 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 108 pounds. The additional purchase of an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can therefore be a good idea, if you wish to improve the generator's mobility.
To help you monitor the 200965's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 200965 also comes with some accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose are included.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 108 pounds, the Champion 200965 places in the expected weight range of the dual fuel generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, with a dry weight of only 54.8 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Since the 200965 boasts with a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most dual fuel generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the Champion 200965 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|208 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection
|Oil, funnel, and propane hose
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.