Zoom on the Champion 200965
In summary, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200965 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4375W. When propane-powered, it has 3150 rated watts and 3950 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 200965, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 200965 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200965 has the following dimensions: L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 108 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). To enhance the generator's mobility, it is worth considering purchasing an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The 200965's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200965 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose and oil.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 108 lbs, the Champion 200965 belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3500iAED, standing at just 56.2 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200965 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the Champion 200965 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,150 W|
|Starting watts||4,375 W||3,950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.