Zoom on the Champion 200965
In a nutshell, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200965 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4375W. While propane-powered, it provides 3150 rated watts and 3950 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the 200965, with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 14 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 200965 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 200965, which are L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 108 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). The additional purchase of an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can therefore be a good idea, if you wish to improve the generator's mobility.
The 200965's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200965's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 108 pounds, the Champion 200965 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As the 200965 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||3950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.