Zoom on the Champion 200965
In summary, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200965 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4375W. When propane-powered, it has 3150 rated watts and 3950 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The running time of the 200965, with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 14 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
Since the 200965 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 200965 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 108 pounds. Thus, you may also want to consider purchasing its official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
To help you monitor the 200965's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200965 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 108 pounds, the Champion 200965 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- The 200965 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 14 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200965 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||3950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.