Zoom on the Champion 200965
In a nutshell, the Champion 200965 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200965 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4375W. While propane-powered, it provides 3150 rated watts and 3950 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 200965, along with its 4.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 10.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.45 GPH).
As the 200965 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L23.4 x W19.7 x H19.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 200965 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 108 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Thus, you may also want to consider purchasing its official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
To help you monitor the 200965's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200965's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 200965 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200965 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200965 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 108 lbs, the Champion 200965 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200965 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200965 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3150 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||3950 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.3 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||32.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.4 x 19.7 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200965 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.