Zoom on the Champion 200964
In a nutshell, the Champion 200964 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200964's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4375W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the 200964 may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons, the 200964 may run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH).
As the 200964 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Champion 200964 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 117.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the 200964's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200964's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and key fob.
The Champion 200964 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200964 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200964 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 117.7 lbs, the Champion 200964 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As the 200964 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200964 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (117.7 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Champion 200964 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200964 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4267 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.