-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 7
Zoom on the Champion 200964
In summary, the Champion 200964 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200964's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,375W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). The 200964 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The 200964 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 200964 is not recommended due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Champion 200964 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 117.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 200964's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200964, the following accessories are also included: key fob, funnel and oil.
The Champion 200964 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200964 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200964 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 117.7 lbs, the Champion 200964 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, weighing just 46 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- As the 200964 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200964 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (117.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200964 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.