Zoom on the Champion 200964
In summary, the Champion 200964 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200964's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4375W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 200964 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The 200964 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 200964 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 200964, which are L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 117.7 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 200964 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200964 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, key fob and funnel.
The Champion 200964 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200964 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200964 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 117.7 pounds, the Champion 200964 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM3300i, with a dry weight of only 47.4 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200964 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM3300i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200964 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (117.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200964 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4267 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.