Zoom on the Champion 200964
In a nutshell, the Champion 200964 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200964 is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4375W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The 200964 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The 200964 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 200964 has the following dimensions: L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 117.7 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 200964's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200964 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, key fob and funnel.
The Champion 200964 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200964 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200964 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 117.7 lbs, the Champion 200964 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Since the 200964 boasts with a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200964 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (117.7 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Champion 200964 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200964 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.