Zoom on the Champion 200964
In a nutshell, the Champion 200964 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200964's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,375W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 200964 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The 200964 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.34 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The 200964 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 200964, which are L23.2 x W18.3 x H20 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 117.7 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 200964's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200964, the following accessories are also included: funnel, oil and key fob.
The Champion 200964 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200964 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200964 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 117.7 pounds, the Champion 200964 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the 200964 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.34 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200964 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (117.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|Recoil, Electric, Remote
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Steel, 4.7 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.2 x 18.3 x 20 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection
|Oil, funnel, key fob, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200964 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.