Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 200961
In summary, the Champion 200961 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200961 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1,850W along with a peak wattage of 2,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 1,665 rated watts and 2,500 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
Regarding its running time, the 200961, with a 1.1 gallon fuel capacity can operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 200961 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in), the Champion 200961, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a weight of only 39 lbs, the 200961 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 200961 also comes with some accessories: propane hose, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel are included. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 200961 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200961 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200961 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 200961 only weighs in at 39 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 53 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 200961 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, as it provides up to 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 200961 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|79 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Oil, funnel, propane hose, and dual port USB adapter
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200961 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
What is the difference between 200961 and 200962 ??? (Asked August 25, 2022)
The 200962 has an inverted colorway. It also features USB ports, while the 200961 features a DC automotive outlet.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.