Zoom on the Champion 200960
In summary, the Champion 200960 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 200960 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1,700W and a peak wattage of 2,000W. When propane-powered, it has 1,530 rated watts and 2,000 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 200960, with a fuel capacity of 1.05 gallon, reaches a run time of up to 11.5 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH) with propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 200960 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Champion 200960 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 200960 weighs just 39 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200960's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 200960 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 200960 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200960 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 200960 weighs just 39 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage inverter generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 200960 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP2300iH, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 200960 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,700 W||1,530 W|
|Starting watts||2,000 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps||12.8 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.05 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200960 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.