Zoom on the Champion 200960
In summary, the Champion 200960 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 200960 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1700W and a starting wattage of 2000W. If propane-powered, it gives 1530 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a fuel capacity of 1.05 gallon, the 200960 can operate for up to 11.5 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), or for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH) using propane.
The 200960 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The Champion 200960's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 200960 weighs just 39 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 200960 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 200960 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 200960 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200960 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 200960 only weighs in at 39 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the 200960 features an autonomy of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Yamaha EF2800i, boasting with up to 14.7 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV2200P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 200960 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1700 W||1530 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps||12.8 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.05 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200960 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.