Zoom on the Champion 200960
In summary, the Champion 200960 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 200960 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1700W and a starting wattage of 2000W. If propane-powered, it gives 1530 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
As for its running time, the 200960, along with its 1.05 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The 200960 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Champion 200960 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the 200960 weighs only 39 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200960's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Champion 200960 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200960 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200960 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 200960 has only 39 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The 200960, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 11.5 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 200960 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1700 W||1530 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps||12.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.05 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200960 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.