Gas + USB Ports (Black)
Gas + USB Ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB Ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB Ports (Yellow)
Zoom on the Champion 200960
In summary, the Champion 200960 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 200960 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1700W along with a peak wattage of 2000W. While propane-powered, it provides 1530 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a fuel capacity of 1.05 gallon, the 200960 can operate for up to 11.5 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), or for up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH) using propane.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 200960 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in), the Champion 200960, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The 200960 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 39 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
When the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200960, the following accessories are also included: oil, propane hose and funnel.
The Champion 200960 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200960 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200960 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 200960 has only 39 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its type and power range, rated at 53 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 200960 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, as it provides up to 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 200960 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1700 W||1530 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps||12.8 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h||34 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.05 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200960 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.