ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 120
Gas + Manual start
Gas + Manual start + Wheel kit
Gas + Manual start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start
Gas + Remote start + USB ports
Gas + Remote start + CO sensor
Dual fuel + Manual start
Dual fuel + Manual start + USB ports
Dual fuel + Electric start
Zoom on the Champion 200954
In summary, the Champion 200954 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200954's core is the 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,250W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 200954 may run for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The 200954 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 200954, which are L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 200954 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 75 lbs. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
If you wish to transport the 200954 more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The 200954 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200954's package also includes these accessories: dual port USB adapter, funnel and oil. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 200954 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 200954 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200954 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 200954 weighs just 75 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage inverter generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 64 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the 200954 boasts with a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Champion 200954 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,250 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200954 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I purchased this Inverter for our Boonedocking in our RV. I runs everything in our RV. I turned on AC (High), turn on Microwave and then plugged in my Heat gun directly to the unit and it ran everything with no issues for 4 min. Then I started shutting things down. I also put the wheel kit on so I didn’t have to carry the unit once I pull it out of my truck. I have a 9000W Champion Gen and 2 other Champion products and all work great. Thats why I bought this unit. I would recommend this to anyone.