Zoom on the Champion 200954
In a nutshell, the Champion 200954 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200954's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4250W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music).
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the 200954 to operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The 200954 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 200954 has the following dimensions: L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 75 lbs of the 200954's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The 200954's control center features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200954, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 200954 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 200954 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200954 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 200954 only weighs in at 75 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 64 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cat INV4000E. With just 51 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, the 200954 has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 200954 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4250 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200954 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.