Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 200951
In summary, the Champion 200951 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200951's engine, 79 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1,850W and reaches a peak wattage of 2,500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 200951 may run for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 200951 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in), the Champion 200951, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a weight of only 39 lbs, the 200951 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
When the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200951's package also includes these accessories: funnel, dual port USB adapter and oil. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 200951 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200951 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200951 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 200951 only weighs in at 39 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 53 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the 200951 boasts with a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 200951 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,850 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200951 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
How long can you run this generator for at a time? (Asked January 11, 2023)
At 25% load - which means that you're only pulling 460W, the unit can run for up to 11.5h.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.