Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 200951
In a nutshell, the Champion 200951 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200951's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1850W and a peak wattage of 2500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
With a full tank, the 200951 can operate for up to 11.5 hours (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The 200951 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Champion 200951 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L17.3 x W12 x H17.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a weight of only 39 lbs, the 200951 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 200951 also comes with some accessories: funnel, oil and dual port USB adapter are included.
The Champion 200951 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200951 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200951 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 200951 weighs only 39 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 53 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 200951 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, reaching up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 200951 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,850 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 12 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200951 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.