Zoom on the Champion 200915
In summary, the Champion 200915 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200915 is powered by a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1200W as well as a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the 200915 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The 200915 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The design of the Champion 200915 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.1 x W14.1 x H16.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a dry weight of 58 lbs, the 200915 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The control panel of the 200915 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 200915, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Champion 200915 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200915 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200915 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- At a weight of 58 pounds, the Champion 200915 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the ECHO EGi-1200, weighing just 30 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 65 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the 200915 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Cat INV1250, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.1 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Champion 200915 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (58 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.1 x 14.1 x 16.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200915 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.