Zoom on the Champion 200915
In a nutshell, the Champion 200915 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200915's engine, 79 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1200W and reaches a peak wattage of 1500W.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the 200915 to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
As the 200915 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
The design of the Champion 200915 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.1 x W14.1 x H16.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 200915's dry weight of 58 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The 200915 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 200915 also comes with several accessories, including: oil and funnel.
The Champion 200915 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 200915 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200915 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 58 lbs, the Champion 200915 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM1200i, with a dry weight of only 25.3 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the 200915 features an autonomy of around 10 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2200, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.11 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Champion 200915 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (58 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.1 x 14.1 x 16.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200915 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.