Zoom on the Champion 200915
In summary, the Champion 200915 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 200915 houses a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1200W along with a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the 200915 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Champion 200915, which are L18.1 x W14.1 x H16.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 58 lbs of the 200915's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The 200915's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 200915's package also includes these accessories: funnel and oil.
The Champion 200915 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 200915 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 200915 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 58 lbs makes the Champion 200915 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 65 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- The 200915 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 10 hours at 50% load. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, as it provides around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 200915 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (58 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.1 x 14.1 x 16.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 200915 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.