Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 100899
In summary, the Champion 100899 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100899 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,850W and a starting wattage of 2,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,665 rated watts and 2,500 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLink (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home).
The running time of the 100899, with its 1.1 gallon fuel capacity, can reach up to 11.5 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 34 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The 100899 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Champion 100899 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the 100899 weighs only 39.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100899, the following accessories are also included: oil, propane hose and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100899 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100899 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100899 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100899 weighs just 39.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage inverter generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 53 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 100899 features an autonomy of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, reaching up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Champion 100899 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|79 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|2x 5V USB port
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Oil, funnel, and propane hose
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100899 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
What is the parallel kit for this model? (Asked March 18, 2021)
The parallel kit is ParaLink 100319 (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.