Zoom on the Champion 100892
In summary, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892's engine, 224 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3650W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100892 can operate for up to 22 hours (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The 100892 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 100892 has the following dimensions: L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 75 lbs of the 100892's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting the 100892.
To help you monitor the 100892's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100892 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel, battery charging cables and dual port USB adapter are included.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100892 has only 75 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 64 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Since the 100892 boasts with a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as one of the devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.14 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100892 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2910 W||3500 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Does it have a fuel cut off to run the gas out of the carburetor? (Asked September 17, 2021)
Yes. The generator has a fuel valve that will turn fuel supply on/off.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.