Zoom on the Champion 100892
In a nutshell, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,650W and also a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 100892 may run for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The 100892 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100892 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the 100892 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting the 100892.
The 100892's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100892 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, dual port USB adapter, funnel and battery charging cables.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100892 only weighs in at 75 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, the 100892 benefits from a higher run time than many inverter generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Champion 200988, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.16 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Champion 100892 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2910 W||3500 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Does it have a fuel cut off to run the gas out of the carburetor? (Asked September 17, 2021)
Yes. The generator has a fuel valve that will turn fuel supply on/off.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.