Zoom on the Champion 100892
In a nutshell, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892 houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3650W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 100892 can operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The 100892 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The design of the Champion 100892 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the 100892 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
If you wish to transport the 100892 more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
The 100892's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100892's package also includes these accessories: dual port USB adapter, funnel, battery charging cables and oil.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100892 has only 75 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 64 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, the 100892 has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.14 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100892 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2910 W||3500 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.