ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 131
Zoom on the Champion 100892
In a nutshell, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892's core is the 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,650W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 100892 may run for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The 100892 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 100892, which are L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 100892 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 75 lbs. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport the 100892 more easily.
The 100892 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100892 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel are included.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100892 only weighs in at 75 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 64 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- The 100892 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful inverters, reaching up to 22 hours at 25% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Champion 200988, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.16 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Champion 100892 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Does it have a fuel cut off to run the gas out of the carburetor? (Asked September 17, 2021)
Yes. The generator has a fuel valve that will turn fuel supply on/off.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
It has been a good generator for me, just didn’t last long enough. I use it as a back up to my solar system so it may run a week straight depending on weather. Easy to change oil but needs a bigger oil capacity in my opinion.