Zoom on the Champion 100892
In summary, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892's engine, 224 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3650W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
The 100892 can operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The 100892 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Champion 100892, which are L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a dry weight of 75 lbs, the 100892 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting the 100892.
To help you monitor the 100892's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100892 also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, oil, funnel and battery charging cables.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100892 weighs only 75 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 64 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, the 100892 benefits from one of the highest run times among generators of a similar output
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.14 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100892 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.