Zoom on the Champion 100892
In a nutshell, the Champion 100892 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100892 houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3650W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 100892 can operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 100892 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 100892 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L20.9 x W18.3 x H19.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 100892 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 75 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport the 100892 more easily.
The 100892 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100892 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel are included.
The Champion 100892 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100892 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100892 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 100892 stands at only 75 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 64 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, the 100892 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, with up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.16 GPH, the Champion 200988 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Champion 100892 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (75 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 18.3 x 19.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100892 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Can it run a 120v welder (Asked January 09, 2021)
The max output you'll get out of a single outlet will be 20 amps (2400W) via NEMA 5-20R or 30 amps (3600W) via TT-30R. It is not feasible to answer the question without more specifics. You may want to read our article on running and starting watts. It explains how to know the wattage of your own appliances.
Does it have a fuel cut off to run the gas out of the carburetor? (Asked September 17, 2021)
Yes. The generator has a fuel valve that will turn fuel supply on/off.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.