Zoom on the Champion 100891
In a nutshell, the Champion 100891 is a portable generator mostly geared towards food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100891 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8400 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
As for its running time, the 100891, along with its 7.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100891 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L28.8 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100891 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 207 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100891 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100891's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 100891 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100891 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100891 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 207 lbs, the Champion 100891 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With just 65 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the 100891 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, reaching around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.77 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with a fuel consumption of 0.52 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100891 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100891 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.