Zoom on the Champion 100891
In a nutshell, the Champion 100891 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100891 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7500W and a starting wattage of 9375W. If propane-powered, it gives 6750 rated watts and 8400 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The 100891, with a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH) with propane.
The 100891 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100891 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.8 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100891 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 207 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the 100891 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100891 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and propane hose are included.
The Champion 100891 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100891 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100891 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 207 lbs, the Champion 100891 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 65 dBA.
- The 100891, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.77 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with a fuel consumption of 0.52 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100891 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||201040|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100891 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.