Zoom on the Champion 100891
In a nutshell, the Champion 100891 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100891 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7500W and a starting wattage of 9375W. If propane-powered, it gives 6750 rated watts and 8400 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 100891, along with its 7.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
Since the 100891 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the 100891 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 100891, which are L28.8 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 207 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 100891 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100891 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 100891 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100891 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100891 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 207 pounds, the Champion 100891 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 65 dBA.
- The 100891, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.77 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.52 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100891 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100891 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.