Zoom on the Champion 100891
In summary, the Champion 100891 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100891 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8400 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
As for its running time, the 100891, along with its 7.7 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
The 100891 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the 100891 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Champion 100891 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.8 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 207 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 100891 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100891 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Champion 100891 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100891 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100891 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 207 lbs, the Champion 100891 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Genmax GM9000iED with only 62 dBA.
- The 100891, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 9000, boasting with around 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.77 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.52 GPH, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100891 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||201040|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100891 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.