Zoom on the Champion 100891
In a nutshell, the Champion 100891 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100891 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8400 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The 100891, with a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH) with propane.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 100891 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100891 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Champion 100891 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.8 x W27.7 x H26.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 207 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 100891's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100891 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and propane hose are included.
The Champion 100891 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100891 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100891 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 207 lbs, the Champion 100891 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 65 dBA.
- The 100891, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.77 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with a fuel consumption of 0.52 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100891 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.7 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100891 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.