Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 100889
In summary, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889's design includes a gasoline-fueled 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,850W and also a peak wattage of 2,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 100889 can operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100889 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Champion 100889 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 39.5 lbs, the 100889 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100889 also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100889 only weighs in at 39.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 100889 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,850 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.