Zoom on the Champion 100889
In a nutshell, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889 houses a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1850W along with a peak wattage of 2500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the 100889 may run for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100889 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in), the Champion 100889, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 100889 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 39.5 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
When the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100889's package also includes these accessories: funnel, dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables and oil. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 100889 stands at only 39.5 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 100889, offering a run time of up to 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1460 W||2050 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.