Zoom on the Champion 100889
In a nutshell, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889 is powered by a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1850W as well as a peak wattage of 2500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the 100889 to operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 100889 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As the Champion 100889 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the 100889 weighs only 39.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100889 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, oil, dual port USB adapter and funnel are included. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100889 weighs just 39.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 100889 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Yamaha EF2800i, boasting with up to 14.7 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Energizer eZV2200P is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1460 W||2050 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.