Zoom on the Champion 100889
In summary, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1850W and a peak wattage of 2500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100889 can operate for up to 11.5 hours (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100889 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Champion 100889 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 100889 weighs just 39.5 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100889, the following accessories are also included: oil, battery charging cables, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100889 has only 39.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Given that the 100889 reaches an autonomy of up to 11.5 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.