Zoom on the Champion 100889
In a nutshell, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1850W and a peak wattage of 2500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator).
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the 100889 to operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the 100889 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in), the Champion 100889, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 39.5 lbs, the 100889 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100889 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, oil, funnel and dual port USB adapter are included.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100889 only weighs in at 39.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As the 100889 offers up to 11.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1460 W||2050 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.