Zoom on the Champion 100889
In summary, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889's core is the 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1850W and a peak wattage of 2500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the 100889 to operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
As the 100889 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Champion 100889 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 100889 weighs just 39.5 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100889's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, dual port USB adapter, oil and funnel.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100889 weighs just 39.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 53 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The 100889, offering a run time of up to 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||79 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1850 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||15.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1462 W||2462 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1470 W||1470 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.