Gas + EZ Start Dial
Gas + USB ports
Gas +Data center + CO sensor
Dual fuel + USB ports (Yellow)
Dual fuel + USB ports (Black)
Dual fuel + USB ports + CO sensor
Zoom on the Champion 100889
In a nutshell, the Champion 100889 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100889 houses a 79 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,850W along with a peak wattage of 2,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator).
The fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon allows the 100889 to operate for up to 11.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The 100889 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The Champion 100889's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L17.3 x W11.5 x H17.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 39.5 lbs, the 100889 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100889 also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, funnel, oil and battery charging cables. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100889 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100889 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100889 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100889 has only 39.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 53 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of up to 11.5 hours at 25% load, the 100889 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Champion 100889 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (39.5 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (53 dBA)
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|79 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Oil, funnel, dual port USB adapter, and battery charging cables
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100889 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
Can I use the 50 amp rv outlet on the parallel kit with two 2500 watt champion inverter generator? (Asked June 30, 2020)
Absolutely, you just won't be able to draw 50 amp out of it.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.