Zoom on the Champion 100812
In a nutshell, the Champion 100812 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100812 is powered by a 292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,000W as well as a peak wattage of 6,250W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 100812 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons.
The 100812 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100812 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Champion 100812 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30.1 x W25.7 x H25.2 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 152.1 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 100812's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100812, the following accessories are also included: oil and funnel.
The Champion 100812 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100812 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100812 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 152.1 lbs, the Champion 100812 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN5600 with only 103.6 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 74 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100812, with an autonomy of around 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the NorthStar c5500, reaching around 15.1 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.63 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the WEN GN5602X. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Champion 100812 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (152.1 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Steel, 5.7 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|30.1 x 25.7 x 25.2 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100812 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.