Zoom on the Champion 100592
In a nutshell, the Champion 100592 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100592 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 6250W and a starting wattage of 7850W. If propane-powered, it gives 5600 rated watts and 7050 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 100592, with a fuel capacity of 6 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH) with propane.
The 100592 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the 100592 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Champion 100592 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 162.5 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 100592's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100592's package also includes these accessories: funnel and propane hose.
The Champion 100592 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100592 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100592 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100592 weighs just 162.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5500 to 6500 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 100592 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Champion 100592 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W||5600 W|
|Starting watts||7850 W||7050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.7/23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||65.4/32.7 amps||58.8/29.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, propane hose, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100592 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4967 W||6442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4985 W||5405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4960 W||7660 W|
What is the THD rating for the 100592 Inverter generator? (Asked September 28, 2019)
The 100592 is not an inverter generator. It's THD will be around 12-20%, depending on load applied.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.