Zoom on the Champion 100592
In a nutshell, the Champion 100592 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 100592 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 6250W along with a peak wattage of 7850W. While propane-powered, it provides 5600 rated watts and 7050 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 100592, along with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH).
Since the 100592 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100592 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Champion 100592, which are L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 162.5 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 100592's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100592, the following accessories are also included: funnel and propane hose.
The Champion 100592 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100592 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100592 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100592 weighs just 162.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5500 to 6500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of only 140 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100592, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Champion 100592 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W||5600 W|
|Starting watts||7850 W||7050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.7/23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||65.4/32.7 amps||58.8/29.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100592 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4967 W||6442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4985 W||5405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4960 W||7660 W|
What is the THD rating for the 100592 Inverter generator? (Asked September 28, 2019)
The 100592 is not an inverter generator. It's THD will be around 12-20%, depending on load applied.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.