Zoom on the Champion 100592
In summary, the Champion 100592 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100592 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 6250W and a peak wattage of 7850W. When propane-powered, it has 5600 rated watts and 7050 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 6 gallons, the 100592 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), or for around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH) using propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 100592 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The design of the Champion 100592 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 162.5 pounds. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 100592's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100592 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and propane hose.
The Champion 100592 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100592 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100592 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100592 only weighs in at 162.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 100592 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Champion 100592 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W||5600 W|
|Starting watts||7850 W||7050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.7/23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||65.4/32.7 amps||58.8/29.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100592 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
QWhat is the THD rating for the 100592 Inverter generator? (Asked September 28, 2019)
AThe 100592 is not an inverter generator. It's THD will be around 12-20%, depending on load applied.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.