Zoom on the Champion 100592
In a nutshell, the Champion 100592 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100592 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 6250W and a peak wattage of 7850W. When propane-powered, it has 5600 rated watts and 7050 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 100592, along with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 100592 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100592 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Champion 100592 has the following dimensions: L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 162.5 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 100592's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100592 also comes with some accessories: funnel and propane hose are included. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100592 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 100592 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100592 compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 100592 stands at only 162.5 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter dual fuel devices of the 5500-6500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar G65BN, with a dry weight of just 126 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 74 dBA, this generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the DuroMax XP7500DX, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 70 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100592, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other dual fuel products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG7750B, with around 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar G65BN, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.45 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W dual fuel generators, the Champion 100592 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||389 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6250 W||5600 W|
|Starting watts||7850 W||7050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps||46.7/23.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||65.4/32.7 amps||58.8/29.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, propane hose, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||100592V|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100592 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4967 W||6442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4985 W||5405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||4960 W||7660 W|
What is the THD rating for the 100592 Inverter generator? (Asked September 28, 2019)
The 100592 is not an inverter generator. It's THD will be around 12-20%, depending on load applied.
Can you run an electric dryer? (Asked February 20, 2021)
The approximate wattage required for starting an electric clothes dryer is 6750 watts and the approximate wattage for running it is 5400. If your dryer has similar wattages, and runs on 240V, the 100592 should be able to run it. Remember that these are approximate values. You should determine the actual running and starting watts of your appliance.
What type of gasoline can be used in this generator? should i be using non ethinol gas? (Asked June 05, 2022)
Gasoline should be clean, fresh, and unleaded with a minimum octane rating of 87 and an ethanol content of 10% or less by volume.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.