Zoom on the Champion 100559
In a nutshell, the Champion 100559 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100559 is powered by a 208 cc Champion 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4375W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100559 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.7 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Champion 100559 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.2 x W18.3 x H19.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 102.1 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport.
The 100559's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100559's packaging.
The Champion 100559 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100559 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100559 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 102.1 lbs, the Champion 100559 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- The 100559, offering a run time of around 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Champion 100559 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (102.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 18.3 x 19.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100559 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.