Zoom on the Champion 100538
In summary, the Champion 100538 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100538's core is the 420 cc Champion 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the 100538 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100538 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Champion 100538 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.9 x W27.2 x H25.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 199.1 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 100538's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100538's packaging.
The Champion 100538 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100538 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100538 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 199.1 pounds, the Champion 100538 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF with only 65 dBA.
- The 100538’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.52 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100538 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (199.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 27.2 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100538 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.