Zoom on the Champion 100538
In a nutshell, the Champion 100538 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100538 houses a 420 cc Champion 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7500W along with a peak wattage of 9375W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons, the 100538 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 100538 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as the 100538 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29.9 x W27.2 x H25.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100538 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 199.1 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 100538 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100538's packaging.
The Champion 100538 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100538 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100538 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 199.1 lbs, the Champion 100538 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 65 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 100538 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with a fuel consumption of 0.52 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100538 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (199.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 27.2 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100538 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
where can I get a wheel kit for my champion model 100538 mine did not come with one? (Asked November 02, 2020)
The 100538 comes with a wheel kit. If you purchased it new and didn't get one in the box, we suggest you return your unit. If you bought it second hand without the wheel kit, you can contact Champion Power Equipment for replacement parts: 1-877-338-0999.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.