This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Champion 100814. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Champion 100538
In a nutshell, the Champion 100538 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100538's engine, 420 cc Champion 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7500W and reaches a peak wattage of 9375W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
With a full tank, the 100538 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons.
The 100538 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100538 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Champion 100538, which are L29.9 x W27.2 x H25.2 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 199.1 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 100538's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100538's packaging.
The Champion 100538 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100538 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100538 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- With a dry weight of 199.1 pounds, the Champion 100538 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 65 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100538, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, as it provides around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.52 GPH, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (199.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 27.2 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100538 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
where can I get a wheel kit for my champion model 100538 mine did not come with one? (Asked November 02, 2020)
The 100538 comes with a wheel kit. If you purchased it new and didn't get one in the box, we suggest you return your unit. If you bought it second hand without the wheel kit, you can contact Champion Power Equipment for replacement parts: 1-877-338-0999.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.