Zoom on the Champion 100538
In a nutshell, the Champion 100538 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100538's core is the 420 cc Champion 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included) and also a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
The 100538 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L29.9 x W27.2 x H25.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100538 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 199.1 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 100538 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100538's packaging.
The Champion 100538 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100538 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100538 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100538 has only 199.1 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, weighing just 185 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powermate DF7500E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 68 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 100538 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman H08053, reaching 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.6 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100538 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (199.1 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Champion 100538?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.9 x 27.2 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100538 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.