Zoom on the Champion 100520
In summary, the Champion 100520 is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100520's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons, the 100520 can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100520 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100520 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Champion 100520 has the following dimensions: L26.6 x W25.6 x H23.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 149 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100520's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100520 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and dual port USB adapter are included. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100520 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100520 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100520 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100520 only weighs in at 149 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100520, with an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Powerhorse 7500i, with up to 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV8000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Champion 100520 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (149 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.6 x 23.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100520 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
I read in a review that these types of generators do not have enough compression to adequately operate on Natural Gas. They will do ok with LP but NG requires higher compression for proper operation. Is this correct? (Asked March 01, 2021)
Possible, since this unit is designed to run on gasoline only.
Does the Champion 100520 have the option to add Duel Fuel LP, I saw one supplier say they could add Duel Fuel option for an additional $299 at checkout. Is this a Champion factory addition or sometime the seller was adding. I have not seen anything other than the one supplier offer that for this model 100520. (Asked March 14, 2021)
The unit does not have an official dual fuel option. Beware of third party fuel line modifications, since they could void your warranty and put you in violation of your local emission laws.
how do you keep the battery charged? (Asked August 22, 2021)
The unit charges its own battery while it is running. Outside of operation, you may use a trickle charger.
Can I run two Champion 7000 watt open frame inverter generators in parallel (Asked August 24, 2021)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.