Zoom on the Champion 100520
In summary, the Champion 100520 is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100520's engine, 420 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 8,750W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons, the 100520 may run for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The 100520 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100520 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 100520, which are L26.6 x W25.6 x H23.7 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 149 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100520's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100520, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, dual port USB adapter and funnel. The official storage cover and running cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100520 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100520 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100520 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100520 has only 149 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100520, with an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the DuroMax XP8500EH, reaching up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP7500DX. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.29 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the Champion 100520 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (149 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|420 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Steel, 4.2 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|26.6 x 25.6 x 23.7 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100520 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Air compressor (1 hp)
I read in a review that these types of generators do not have enough compression to adequately operate on Natural Gas. They will do ok with LP but NG requires higher compression for proper operation. Is this correct? (Asked March 01, 2021)
Possible, since this unit is designed to run on gasoline only.
Does the Champion 100520 have the option to add Duel Fuel LP, I saw one supplier say they could add Duel Fuel option for an additional $299 at checkout. Is this a Champion factory addition or sometime the seller was adding. I have not seen anything other than the one supplier offer that for this model 100520. (Asked March 14, 2021)
The unit does not have an official dual fuel option. Beware of third party fuel line modifications, since they could void your warranty and put you in violation of your local emission laws.
how do you keep the battery charged? (Asked August 22, 2021)
The unit charges its own battery while it is running. Outside of operation, you may use a trickle charger.
Can I run two Champion 7000 watt open frame inverter generators in parallel (Asked August 24, 2021)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.