Zoom on the Champion 100520
In summary, the Champion 100520 is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100520's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7000W and also a peak wattage of 8750W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the 100520 can operate for up to 10.5 hours (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100520 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100520 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 100520, which are L26.6 x W25.6 x H23.7 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 149 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of wheels (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the 100520 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100520 also comes with some accessories: dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables and funnel are included. The official storage cover and storm cover are also available, as separate purchases.
The Champion 100520 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100520 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100520 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100520 weighs only 149 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100520, with an autonomy of up to 10.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 7500i, as it provides up to 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV8000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Champion 100520 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (149 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.6 x 23.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100520 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
I read in a review that these types of generators do not have enough compression to adequately operate on Natural Gas. They will do ok with LP but NG requires higher compression for proper operation. Is this correct? (Asked March 01, 2021)
Possible, since this unit is designed to run on gasoline only.
Does the Champion 100520 have the option to add Duel Fuel LP, I saw one supplier say they could add Duel Fuel option for an additional $299 at checkout. Is this a Champion factory addition or sometime the seller was adding. I have not seen anything other than the one supplier offer that for this model 100520. (Asked March 14, 2021)
The unit does not have an official dual fuel option. Beware of third party fuel line modifications, since they could void your warranty and put you in violation of your local emission laws.
how do you keep the battery charged? (Asked August 22, 2021)
The unit charges its own battery while it is running. Outside of operation, you may use a trickle charger.
Can I run two Champion 7000 watt open frame inverter generators in parallel (Asked August 24, 2021)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.