Zoom on the Champion 100520
In a nutshell, the Champion 100520 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100520 houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7000W along with a peak wattage of 8750W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
The 100520 can operate for up to 10.5 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4.2 gallons.
The 100520 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Since the 100520 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L26.6 x W25.6 x H23.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100520 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 149 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 100520 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100520, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 100520 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100520 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100520 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100520 only weighs in at 149 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 10.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the 100520 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen7500DF, reaching up to 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.4 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV8000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Champion 100520 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (149 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||10.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.6 x 25.6 x 23.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, dual port USB adapter, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100520 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.