Zoom on the Champion 100496
In summary, the Champion 100496 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100496 houses a 292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5000W along with a peak wattage of 6250W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons allows the 100496 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 100496 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Since the 100496 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Champion 100496 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30.1 x W25.7 x H25.2 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 152.1 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100496's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100496, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100496 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100496 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100496 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100496 has only 152.1 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56500 with only 119 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 74 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 9 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 100496 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.63 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Champion 100496 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (152.1 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.1 x 25.7 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100496 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||4992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
How do you interpret the intelligence reading (Asked September 10, 2020)
You can learn more about the Intelligauge meter here (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.