Zoom on the Champion 100496
In a nutshell, the Champion 100496 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100496's engine, 292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5000W and reaches a peak wattage of 6250W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons, the 100496 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The 100496 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100496 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L30.1 x W25.7 x H25.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100496 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 152.1 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8"), once it is placed on the ground.
The 100496 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100496 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and funnel.
The Champion 100496 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100496 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100496 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100496 weighs just 152.1 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN6000, with a dry weight of just 119 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 74 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- The 100496's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.63 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Champion 100496 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (152.1 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.1 x 25.7 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100496 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
How do you interpret the intelligence reading (Asked September 10, 2020)
You can learn more about the Intelligauge meter here (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.