Zoom on the Champion 100496
In a nutshell, the Champion 100496 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100496's design includes a gasoline-fueled 292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5000W and also a peak wattage of 6250W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons, the 100496 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Because the 100496 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Champion 100496 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30.1 x W25.7 x H25.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 152.1 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8"), with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 100496 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100496's package also includes these accessories: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100496 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100496 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100496 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100496 weighs only 152.1 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v with only 107 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 74 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100496, reaching around 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.63 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Champion 100496 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (152.1 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.1 x 25.7 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100496 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
How do you interpret the intelligence reading (Asked September 10, 2020)
You can learn more about the Intelligauge meter here (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.