Zoom on the Champion 100496
In a nutshell, the Champion 100496 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100496 is powered by a 292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5000W as well as a peak wattage of 6250W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
With a fuel capacity of 5.7 gallons, the 100496 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The design of the Champion 100496 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30.1 x W25.7 x H25.2 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 152.1 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀8"), with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 100496's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100496, the following accessories are also included: oil and funnel.
The Champion 100496 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100496 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100496 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100496 weighs only 152.1 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56500, weighing just 119 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 74 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100496, with an autonomy of around 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.63 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.44 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Champion 100496 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (152.1 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (74 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||292 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5.7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30.1 x 25.7 x 25.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100496 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.