Zoom on the Champion 100485
In a nutshell, the Champion 100485 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100485 is powered by a 459 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 9,200W as well as a peak wattage of 11,500W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
With a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, the 100485 may run for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 100485 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Champion unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. In addition, since the 100485 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Champion 100485 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.7 x W26.8 x H26.6 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 219 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 100485's control panel, gives you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100485's package also includes these accessories: funnel, battery charger and oil.
The Champion 100485 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Champion 100485 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100485 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100485 weighs only 219 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PG12000B, with a dry weight of just 205 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Since the 100485 boasts with a run time of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100485 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Lightweight for its kind (219 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9,200 W|
|Starting watts||11,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 26.8 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100485 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7342 W||8817 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7330 W||7750 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.