Zoom on the Champion 100485
In a nutshell, the Champion 100485 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100485's design includes a gasoline-fueled 459 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9200W and also a peak wattage of 11500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
The 100485 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons.
As the 100485 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
As the 100485 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Champion 100485 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.7 x W26.8 x H26.6 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 219 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the 100485 includes a digital Intelligauge data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100485 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, oil and battery charger.
The Champion 100485 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100485 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100485 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100485 weighs just 219 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 8500 to 9500 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- As the 100485 features an autonomy of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100485 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Lightweight for its kind (219 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 26.8 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100485 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7342 W||8842 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7340 W||7930 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.