Zoom on the Champion 100485
In summary, the Champion 100485 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100485 houses a 459 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 9200W along with a peak wattage of 11500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
With a full tank, the 100485 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons.
The 100485 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Since the 100485 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 100485, which are L27.7 x W26.8 x H26.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 219 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the 100485's status and activity is made possible by a digital Intelligauge data center, which provides information on the power output, voltage and lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker). Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100485, the following accessories are also included: battery charger, funnel and oil.
The Champion 100485 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100485 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100485 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- At a weight of 219 pounds, the Champion 100485 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Rainier R12000DF with only 196 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA12000ED, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Since the 100485 boasts with a run time of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100485 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (219 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 26.8 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100485 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7342 W||8817 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||7330 W||7750 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.