Zoom on the Champion 100485
In summary, the Champion 100485 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100485's engine, 459 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 9200W and reaches a peak wattage of 11500W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
With a full tank, the 100485 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons.
Since the 100485 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Since the 100485 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Champion 100485 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.7 x W26.8 x H26.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 219 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital Intelligauge data center, one of the features of the 100485's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, power output and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against spikes in voltage.
The unit also benefits from the CO Shield™ technology, which monitors accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas produced by the engine's exhaust when the generator is running. If CO Shield™ detects elevated levels of CO gas, it automatically shuts off the engine and illuminates a red LED. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Champion 100485 also comes with some accessories: oil, battery charger and funnel are included.
The Champion 100485 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100485 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100485 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100485 only weighs in at 219 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 100485 features an autonomy of around 11.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG12000B, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100485 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Shield™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Lightweight for its kind (219 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 26.8 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100485 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||7342 W||8842 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7340 W||7930 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.