Zoom on the Champion 100477
In a nutshell, the Champion 100477 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100477 is powered by a 171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2850W as well as a peak wattage of 3150W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb). To add further convenience, the 100477 can be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the 100477 can operate for up to 8 hours (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100477 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 100477 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The 100477's dry weight of 95 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀5.5") and its folding handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100477 also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, funnel and key fob.
The Champion 100477 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100477 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100477 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 95 pounds, the Champion 100477 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the 100477 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EU3000iS, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3200P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100477 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2850 W|
|Starting watts||3150 W|
|Running amps||23.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, key fob, dual port USB adapter and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100477 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2142 W||3142 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2275 W||2695 W|
|Total||2000 W||3100 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.