Zoom on the Champion 100477
In summary, the Champion 100477 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100477's design includes a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2850W and also a peak wattage of 3150W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 100477 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The 100477 can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
The 100477 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in), the Champion 100477, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 95 lbs of the 100477's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
When the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100477's package also includes these accessories: funnel, dual port USB adapter and key fob.
The Champion 100477 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100477 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100477 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 95 lbs, the Champion 100477 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Generac GP3300i, standing at just 59.5 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100477, with an autonomy of up to 8 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.2 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100477 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2850 W|
|Starting watts||3150 W|
|Running amps||23.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, key fob, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100477 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2147 W||3147 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2260 W||2850 W|
|Total||2000 W||3100 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.