Zoom on the Champion 100477
In a nutshell, the Champion 100477 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100477 is powered by a 171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2850W as well as a peak wattage of 3150W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator). For additional convenience, the 100477 may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 100477 may run for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
The 100477 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 100477 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the 100477's weight is only 95 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its wheel kit (⌀5.5") and its folding handle.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100477 also comes with several accessories, including: dual port USB adapter, key fob and funnel.
The Champion 100477 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100477 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100477 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 95 pounds, the Champion 100477 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- The 100477’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 8 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.2 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100477 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2850 W|
|Starting watts||3150 W|
|Running amps||23.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, key fob, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100477 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2142 W||3142 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2275 W||2695 W|
|Total||2000 W||3100 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.