Zoom on the Champion 100477
In a nutshell, the Champion 100477 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100477 is powered by a 171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2850W as well as a peak wattage of 3150W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLINK not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 100477 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The 100477 can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 100477 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
Since the Champion 100477 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 100477's dry weight of 95 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of a wheel kit (⌀5.5") and a folding handle, once it is on the ground.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100477 also is packed along with the following accessories: dual port USB adapter, funnel and key fob.
The Champion 100477 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100477 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100477 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 95 lbs, the Champion 100477 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Honda EG2800i, standing at just 66.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with 8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 100477 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, reaching 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.2 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3200P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100477 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (95 lbs)
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Champion 100477?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2850 W|
|Starting watts||3150 W|
|Running amps||23.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||26.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, key fob and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100477 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.