Zoom on the Champion 100407
In a nutshell, the Champion 100407 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100407's core is the 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3550W and a peak wattage of 4450W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music).
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the 100407 to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 100407 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.6 x W18.1 x H19.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 100.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). To enhance the generator's mobility, it is worth considering purchasing an official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
To help you monitor the 100407's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100407's packaging.
The Champion 100407 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100407 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100407 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100407 has only 100.7 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100407, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100407 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (100.7 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3550 W|
|Starting watts||4450 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.6 x 18.1 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100407 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2802 W||3802 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2815 W||3405 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.