Zoom on the Champion 100407
In a nutshell, the Champion 100407 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100407's core is the 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3550W and a peak wattage of 4450W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100407 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L23.6 x W18.1 x H19.6 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100407 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 100.7 pounds.
The control panel of the 100407 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100407's packaging.
The Champion 100407 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100407 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100407 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100407 only weighs in at 100.7 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 68 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100407, reaching around 10 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, reaching around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100407 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (100.7 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3550 W|
|Starting watts||4450 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.6 x 18.1 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100407 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.