Zoom on the Champion 100403
In a nutshell, the Champion 100403 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100403's engine, 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1200W and reaches a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 100403 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L19.3 x W14 x H16 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100403 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 56.7 lbs of the 100403's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The 100403 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100403's packaging.
The Champion 100403 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100403 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100403 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 56.7 lbs makes the Champion 100403 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- The 100403 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 11 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Ryobi RYi1000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 100403 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (56.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100403 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.