Zoom on the Champion 100403
In summary, the Champion 100403 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100403 houses a 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1200W along with a peak wattage of 1500W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 100403 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon.
As the 100403 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The Champion 100403 has the following dimensions: L19.3 x W14 x H16 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 56.7 lbs, the 100403 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
To help you monitor the 100403's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100403's packaging. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Champion 100403 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100403 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100403 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- With a dry weight of 56.7 pounds, the Champion 100403 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, with a dry weight of only 30 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 65 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Since the 100403 boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Cat INV1250, with a fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Champion 100403 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (56.7 lbs)
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100403 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.