Zoom on the Champion 100403
In a nutshell, the Champion 100403 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100403's core is the 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1200W and a peak wattage of 1500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon, the 100403 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The Champion 100403 has the following dimensions: L19.3 x W14 x H16 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 100403's dry weight of 56.7 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The 100403's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100403's packaging.
The Champion 100403 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100403 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100403 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 56.7 lbs makes the Champion 100403 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the 100403 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 100403 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (56.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100403 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.