Zoom on the Champion 100403
In summary, the Champion 100403 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100403's build contains a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1200W and also a peak wattage of 1500W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon, the 100403 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L19.3 x W14 x H16 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100403 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 100403's dry weight of 56.7 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The control panel of the 100403 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Champion also included a funnel in the 100403's packaging.
The Champion 100403 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100403 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100403 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- At a dry weight of 56.7 pounds, the Champion 100403 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 500 and 1500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- With a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the 100403 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Champion 100403 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (56.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100403 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.