Zoom on the Champion 100402
In summary, the Champion 100402 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100402 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1600W and a peak wattage of 2000W. When propane-powered, it has 1440 rated watts and 1800 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLINK parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 53 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. Champion’s EZ Start Dial lets you intuitively start the engine with easy access to all the controls you need.
The 100402, with a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, reaches a run time of up to 11 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 24 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.2 GPH) with propane. Thanks to the Fuel Fill Assist LED, an ingenious LED built right into the handle, filling up the unit’s tank is highly facilitated in poor lighting conditions. The LED can illuminate the gasoline filling area simply by a pushing a button.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 100402 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L20.5 x W12.6 x H16.9 in), the Champion 100402, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 100402 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 47.6 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
A digital data center, one of the features of the 100402’s control panel, gives you information on the remaining run time, lifetime run hours, fuel level and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100402 also comes with some accessories: funnel, dual port USB adapter and propane hose are included.
The Champion 100402 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100402 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100402 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 100402 stands at only 47.6 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 53 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- The 100402, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 11 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Champion 100402 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight (47.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (53 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W||1440 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W||1800 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps||12 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||11 h||24 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.5 x 12.6 x 16.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||53 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, propane hose and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100402 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.