Zoom on the Champion 100302
In a nutshell, the Champion 100302 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100302's core is the 224 cc Champion 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 100302 can operate for up to 17 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.9 gallons.
The 100302 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries. Since a dual port USB adapter is included with the unit, you will also be able to use the DC receptacle to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L20.5 x W17.9 x H17.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100302 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 81.6 lbs, the 100302 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100302 also is packed along with the following accessories: dual port USB adapter and funnel.
The Champion 100302 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100302 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100302 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100302 only weighs in at 81.6 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The 100302, offering a run time of up to 17 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Champion 100302 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (81.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||17 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.5 x 17.9 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and dual port USB adapter|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100302 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.