Zoom on the Champion 100263
In a nutshell, the Champion 100263 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100263 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3100W and a peak wattage of 3400W. When propane-powered, it has 2790 rated watts and 3060 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the 100263, with a 1.6 gallon fuel capacity can operate for up to 7.5 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 14.5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.32 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 100263 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Champion 100263 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 95.7 lbs of the 100263's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100263, the following accessories are also included: propane hose and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 100263 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100263 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100263 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 95.7 pounds, the Champion 100263 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 59 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100263, with an autonomy of up to 7.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.21 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100263 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (59 dBA)
- Decent weight (95.7 lbs)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||192 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W||2790 W|
|Starting watts||3400 W||3060 W|
|Running amps||25.8 amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||28.3 amps||25.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||7.5 h||14.5 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100263 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2475 W||2895 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.