Zoom on the Champion 100263
In a nutshell, the Champion 100263 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100263 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3100W and a starting wattage of 3400W. If propane-powered, it gives 2790 rated watts and 3060 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 100263, along with its 1.6 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 7.5 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 14.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.32 GPH).
The 100263 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Champion 100263 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 100263's dry weight of 95.7 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its wheel kit (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
When the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100263 also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 100263 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100263 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100263 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 95.7 lbs, the Champion 100263 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 59 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100263, reaching up to 7.5 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, with up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.21 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3200P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100263 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (59 dBA)
- Decent weight (95.7 lbs)
- No data center
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||192 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W||2790 W|
|Starting watts||3400 W||3060 W|
|Running amps||25.8 amps||23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||28.3 amps||25.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||7.5 h||14.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, dual port USB adapter and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100263 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2475 W||2895 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.