Zoom on the Champion 100263
In summary, the Champion 100263 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Champion 100263 provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3100W along with a peak wattage of 3400W. While propane-powered, it provides 2790 rated watts and 3060 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (ParaLINK (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 100263, along with its 1.6 gallon fuel capacity, can run for up to 7.5 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 14.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.32 GPH).
As the 100263 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Champion 100263 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L25.1 x W17.3 x H18.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 95.7 lbs of the 100263's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100263's package also includes these accessories: propane hose and dual port USB adapter.
The Champion 100263 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100263 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100263 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 95.7 pounds, the Champion 100263 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 59 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100263, with an autonomy of up to 7.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.21 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Champion 100263 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (59 dBA)
- Decent weight (95.7 lbs)
- No data center
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||192 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W||2790 W|
|Starting watts||3400 W||3060 W|
|Running amps||25.8 amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||28.3 amps||25.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||7.5 h||14.5 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.1 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, dual port USB adapter, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100263 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1892 W||3392 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2470 W||3060 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.