Zoom on the Champion 100231
In a nutshell, the Champion 100231 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100231 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 5500W and a starting wattage of 6900W. If propane-powered, it gives 5000 rated watts and 6250 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the 100231, along with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100231 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 162.5 pounds. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 100231's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Champion 100231's package also includes these accessories: propane hose and funnel.
The Champion 100231 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100231 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100231 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As for its weight, the Champion 100231 weighs only 162.5 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 100519, standing at just 121 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The 100231’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.67 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Champion 100231 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||386 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6900 W||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.5/28.8 amps||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100231 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.