Zoom on the Champion 100231
In a nutshell, the Champion 100231 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100231 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6900W. When propane-powered, it has 5000 rated watts and 6250 peak watts.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 100231, with a fuel capacity of 6 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 6.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.72 GPH) with propane.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L27 x W27.7 x H24.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100231 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 162.5 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 100231's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As for its security measures, the device features a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100231, the following accessories are also included: propane hose and funnel.
The Champion 100231 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100231 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100231 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100231 only weighs in at 162.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 100519, standing at just 121 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with 9 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 100231 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.67 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.44 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Champion 100231 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (162.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Champion 100231?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||386 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6900 W||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.5/28.8 amps||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||6.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 27.7 x 24.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100231 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.