Zoom on the Champion 100165
In summary, the Champion 100165 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100165 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8400 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 100165, along with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100165 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Champion 100165 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.8 x W28.7 x H26.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 202.4 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 100165's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100165 also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel and oil.
The Champion 100165 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100165 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100165 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 202.4 lbs, the Champion 100165 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 65 dBA.
- The 100165’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, boasting with around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.75 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.52 GPH, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100165 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (202.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.8 x 28.7 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100165 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.