Zoom on the Champion 100165
In a nutshell, the Champion 100165 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100165 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7500W and a starting wattage of 9375W. If propane-powered, it gives 6750 rated watts and 8400 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The 100165, with a fuel capacity of 6 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH) with propane.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100165 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Champion 100165 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.8 x W28.7 x H26.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 202.4 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 100165 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100165 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and propane hose are included.
The Champion 100165 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100165 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100165 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- As its weight is 202.4 pounds, the Champion 100165 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 7000-8000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF with only 65 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100165, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, boasting with around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.75 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.52 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100165 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (202.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.8 x 28.7 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100165 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.