Zoom on the Champion 100165
In a nutshell, the Champion 100165 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Champion 100165 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7500W and a starting wattage of 9375W. If propane-powered, it gives 6750 rated watts and 8400 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the 100165, with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100165 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Champion 100165 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.8 x W28.7 x H26.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 202.4 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the 100165's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security standpoint, the product offers a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100165 also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Champion 100165 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100165 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100165 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100165 has only 202.4 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, weighing just 185 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Powermate DF7500E. With just 68 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, as it provides 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.75 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen7500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.6 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100165 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (202.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Champion 100165?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.8 x 28.7 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100165 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.