Zoom on the Champion 100165
In a nutshell, the Champion 100165 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Champion 100165 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 9375W. When propane-powered, it has 6750 rated watts and 8400 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the 100165, along with its 6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.85 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Champion generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100165 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Champion 100165 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.8 x W28.7 x H26.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 202.4 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 100165's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Champion 100165 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and propane hose are included.
The Champion 100165 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100165 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100165 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100165 weighs just 202.4 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 7000 to 8000 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Predator 8750, standing at just 183 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the WEN GN9500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 64 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 100165, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 9000, reaching around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.75 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 8750. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100165 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (202.4 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W||6750 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W||8400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps||56.3/28.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps||70/35 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.8 x 28.7 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100165 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.