Zoom on the Champion 100161
In summary, the Champion 100161 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100161 is powered by a 439 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7500W as well as a peak wattage of 9375W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). To add further convenience, the 100161 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The 100161 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100161 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Champion 100161, which are L27.8 x W27.3 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 207 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 100161 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100161 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, key fob and oil.
The Champion 100161 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100161 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100161 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 207 pounds, the Champion 100161 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, standing at just 185 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powermate DF7500E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 68 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 100161 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, which is able to run for 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.75 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen7500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.6 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Champion 100161 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Champion 100161?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||439 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.8 x 27.3 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and key fob|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100161 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.