Zoom on the Champion 100111
In a nutshell, the Champion 100111 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100111 houses a 717 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 12000W along with a peak wattage of 15000W.
At a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator is started via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 10.9 gallons, the 100111 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.21 GPH).
Since the 100111 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even though this Champion generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the 100111 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the Champion 100111 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L33.9 x W31.1 x H33.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 329.6 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The 100111's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100111 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100111 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100111 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100111 compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- With a dry weight of 329.6 pounds, the Champion 100111 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 10000 and 14000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 218 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100111, reaching around 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.21 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Champion 100111 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (329.6 lbs)
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||717 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 10.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||33.9 x 31.1 x 33.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100111 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9587 W||11062 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.