Zoom on the Champion 100111
In a nutshell, the Champion 100111 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100111 houses a 717 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 12000W along with a peak wattage of 15000W.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 10.9 gallons, the 100111 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.21 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 100111 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This Champion generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 100111 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Champion 100111 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L33.9 x W31.1 x H33.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 329.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
In addition, the device is equipped with a lift hook on the top of its frame, which provides extra safety during the loading, unloading and transport of the generator.
The 100111's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100111 also comes with some accessories: funnel and oil are included.
The Champion 100111 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100111 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100111 compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- At a dry weight of 329.6 pounds, the Champion 100111 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 14000 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 218 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- The 100111, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 9 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.21 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Champion 100111 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (329.6 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||717 cc Champion 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 10.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||33.9 x 31.1 x 33.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100111 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9592 W||11092 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.