Zoom on the Champion 100110
In a nutshell, the Champion 100110 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100110's design includes a gasoline-fueled 459 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9200W and also a peak wattage of 11500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons, the 100110 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Because the 100110 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Champion 100110 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.7 x W27.6 x H26.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 213 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 100110 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100110, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100110 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100110 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100110 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Champion 100110 stands at only 213 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 8500-9500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of just 196 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the 100110 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG12000B, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100110 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (213 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 27.6 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100110 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7342 W||8817 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||7330 W||7750 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Why do you consider this generator not RV ready? (Asked June 01, 2020)
Simply because it does not have a TT-30R outlet. You can read our definition of RV-Ready.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.