Zoom on the Champion 100110
In a nutshell, the Champion 100110 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100110's design includes a gasoline-fueled 459 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9200W and also a peak wattage of 11500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the 100110 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.77 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.7 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the 100110 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
As the 100110 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Champion 100110 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.7 x W27.6 x H26.6 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 213 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 100110's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use. Champion's built-in surge protector (Volt Guard™) safeguards your equipment and appliances against voltage spikes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 100110, the following accessories are also included: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100110 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100110 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100110 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Champion 100110 has only 213 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 8500 to 9500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA12000ED, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- As the 100110 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.77 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Champion 100110 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (213 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||459 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9200 W|
|Starting watts||11500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||76.7/38.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||95.8/47.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 27.6 x 26.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil, overload and Volt Guard™ surge protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100110 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7342 W||8817 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7330 W||7750 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6870 W||11370 W|
Why do you consider this generator not RV ready? (Asked June 01, 2020)
Simply because it does not have a TT-30R outlet. You can read our definition of RV-Ready.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.