Zoom on the Champion 100103
In summary, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3800W and also a peak wattage of 4750W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons allows the 100103 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
The Champion 100103 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 106.9 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100103's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
As for its security measures, the device features a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Champion 100103 also comes with some accessories: funnel and oil are included.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 106.9 lbs, the Champion 100103 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 100103 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3000 W||4500 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3035 W||3625 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.