Zoom on the Champion 100103
In summary, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103's core is the 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3800W and a peak wattage of 4750W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the 100103 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100103 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 106.9 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 100103's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and a Volt Guard™ overload protection, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100103 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Champion 100103 weighs just 106.9 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3500 to 4500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Energizer eZV4500 with only 78 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 100103, reaching 9 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Champion 100103?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.