Zoom on the Champion 100103
In a nutshell, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103's engine, 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3800W and reaches a peak wattage of 4750W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100103 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 100103 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 106.9 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 100103 and its control panel include an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Champion 100103 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Champion 100103 only weighs in at 106.9 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The 100103’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.