Zoom on the Champion 100103
In summary, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103 houses a 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3800W along with a peak wattage of 4750W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the 100103 may run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Champion generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Champion 100103 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 106.9 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 100103's control center features an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Champion 100103 also comes with some accessories: funnel and oil are included.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the Champion 100103 stands at only 106.9 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 68 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The 100103’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Lightweight for its kind (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.