Zoom on the Champion 100103
In a nutshell, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103 houses a 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3800W along with a peak wattage of 4750W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 100103 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The quite high THD (<20%) of the 100103 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Champion 100103, which are L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 106.9 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the 100103 includes an Intelligauge meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100103 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and funnel.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 106.9 pounds, the Champion 100103 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 100103 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Total||3000 W||3700 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3035 W||3625 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.