Zoom on the Champion 100103
In a nutshell, the Champion 100103 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Champion 100103's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3800W and also a peak wattage of 4750W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 100103 can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Champion 100103 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23.7 x H22.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 106.9 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the 100103 includes an Intelligauge meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features a Volt Guard™ overload protection and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Champion 100103 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and funnel.
The Champion 100103 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Champion 100103 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 100103 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 106.9 lbs, the Champion 100103 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 68 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 100103’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Champion 100103 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (106.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Champion OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3800 W|
|Starting watts||4750 W|
|Running amps||31.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23.7 x 22.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 100103 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3037 W||4037 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3035 W||3455 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1880 W||4580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.