Zoom on the Champion 75531i
In a nutshell, the Champion 75531i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Champion 75531i's core is the 171 cc Champion 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2800W and a peak wattage of 3100W.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon allows the 75531i to operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 75531i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Champion generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Since the Champion 75531i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L22.4 x W17.3 x H18.3 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
As the 75531i's weight is only 83.8 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Champion 75531i, the following accessories are also included: funnel, battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Champion 75531i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Champion 75531i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Champion 75531i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 83.8 lbs, the Champion 75531i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3300i, standing at just 47.4 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 58 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 75531i is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200914, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.2 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Champion 75531i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (83.8 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||171 cc Champion 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2800 W|
|Starting watts||3100 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||25.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.4 x 17.3 x 18.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Champion Power Equipment
Founded in 2003, the Champion Power Equipment is a US based power equipment manufacturer. The relatively small company has made a name for itself both in the portable generator industry, but also the power equipment sector in general, with a particular focus on heavy duty equipment, such as log cutters, snow blowers, chipper shredders, etc. All of their products are engineered in the US. However, the company does not provide information on the origin of their components.
The Champion 75531i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Champion generators, please consult Champion's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-877-338-0999.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2092 W||3092 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2230 W||2650 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1980 W||3080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.