Get this unit while stocks last, because Caterpillar discontinued its production.
Zoom on the Cat RP7500 E
In summary, the Cat RP7500 E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Cat RP7500 E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7500W and also a peak wattage of 9375W.
This generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the RP7500 E may run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Cat generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the RP7500 E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Cat RP7500 E has the following dimensions: L32.9 x W27.4 x H24.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 207 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the RP7500 E includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity. To offer you even more control and easy operation during night time, the panel is LED-lit.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Cat RP7500 E, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Cat RP7500 E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Cat RP7500 E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Cat RP7500 E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 207 lbs, the Cat RP7500 E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- As the RP7500 E features an autonomy of around 11 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.72 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.52 GPH, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Cat RP7500 E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Illuminated control panel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (207 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.1/39.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||32.9 x 27.4 x 24.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||502-3690|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Caterpillar Inc., often abbreviated as simply CAT, is an American engineering corporation, whose product range includes machinery, engines, financial products, mobile phones and of course, power generators. The company, founded in 1925, is one of the backbones of the US Dow Jones index and is placed among the Fortune 500 list. While CAT mainly focuses on industrial scale generators, it also provides a wide range of portable and household-scaled devices. CAT portable generators are engineered and designed in Mossville, Illinois, and Belfast, Northern Ireland. However, their production is outsourced to China.
The Cat RP7500 E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Cat generators, please consult Cat's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-PWR-ME-UP (844-797-6387).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4800 W||9300 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.