This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the WEN 56225i, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Cat INV2000
In summary, the Cat INV2000 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Cat INV2000 is powered by a 79.7 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,800W as well as a peak wattage of 2,250W.
With a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the INV2000 can operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
The INV2000 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Cat INV2000's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L19.6 x W12.5 x H18.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a weight of only 48.8 lbs, the INV2000 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
When the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators. To offer greater control and easy operation during nighttime, the panel is LED-lit.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Cat also included a tool kit in the INV2000's packaging.
The Cat INV2000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Cat INV2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Cat INV2000 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 48.8 lbs, the Cat INV2000 belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering up to 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the INV2000 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Yamaha EF2800i, which is able to run for up to 14.7 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Illuminated control panel
- GFCI Outlets
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (48.8 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||79.7 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,250 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 12.5 x 18.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Caterpillar Inc., often abbreviated as simply CAT, is an American engineering corporation, whose product range includes machinery, engines, financial products, mobile phones and of course, power generators. The company, founded in 1925, is one of the backbones of the US Dow Jones index and is placed among the Fortune 500 list. While CAT mainly focuses on industrial scale generators, it also provides a wide range of portable and household-scaled devices. CAT portable generators were engineered and designed in Mossville, Illinois, and Belfast, Northern Ireland. However, their production was outsourced to China.
The Cat INV2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Cat generators, please consult Cat's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-PWR-ME-UP (844-797-6387).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1242 W||2242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|