Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30737
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30737 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30737's design includes a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Briggs & Stratton PowerBuilt™ OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,000W and also a peak wattage of 6,250W.
This generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30737 may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 30737 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton 30737, which are L29 x W26 x H27 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 184 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 30737 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The 30737 also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30737's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30737 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a dry weight of 184 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30737 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 4500 and 5500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN5600 with only 103.6 pounds.
- The 30737 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the NorthStar c5500, reaching around 15.1 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.63 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the WEN GN5602X, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30737 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (184 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|389 cc Briggs & Stratton PowerBuilt™ OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Lifetime run hours
|Metal, 7.5 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|29 x 26 x 27 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.