Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30737
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30737 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 is powered by a 389 cc Briggs & Stratton PowerBuilt™ OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,000W as well as a peak wattage of 6,250W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30737 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Since the 30737 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton 30737, which are L29 x W26 x H27 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 184 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 30737's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The 30737 also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30737's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30737 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a dry weight of 184 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30737 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 4500 and 5500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE with only 106.9 pounds.
- The 30737 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 6500, boasting with around 14.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.63 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM5500i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.41 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- CO Guard™ technology
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (184 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton PowerBuilt™ OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 26 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30737 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3972 W||5447 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.