Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30710
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is powered by a 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6500W as well as a peak wattage of 8125W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons allows the 30710 to operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
Since the 30710 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Briggs & Stratton 30710 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28 x W27 x H28 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 196 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the 30710’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30710 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 196 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6000 and 7000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 30710 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Generac XC6500, boasting with around 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.71 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (196 lbs)
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 27 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5172 W||6647 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5180 W||5600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.