Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30710
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is powered by a 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6500W as well as a peak wattage of 8125W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30710 may run for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Since the 30710 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W27 x H28 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Briggs & Stratton 30710 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 196 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 30710's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30710 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- As its weight is 196 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30710 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 6000-7000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 30710 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, as it provides around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.71 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- The Briggs & Stratton 30710 doesn't have any specs that exceed those of other generators of its class.
- Decent weight (196 lbs)
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 27 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30710 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.