-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 6
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30708
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30708's design includes a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,750W and also a peak wattage of 7,185W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30708 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
Because the 30708 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton 30708, which are L29 x W21.5 x H25.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 190 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 30708's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30708's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- With a dry weight of 190 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar G65BN, standing at just 126 lbs.
- The 30708, offering a run time of around 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 6500, as it provides around 14.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.36 GPH, the A-iPower SUA7000L is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,750 W|
|Starting watts||7,185 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.9/24 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.9/29.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 21.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4595 W||6095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||4590 W||5180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.