Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30708
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is powered by a 389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,750W as well as a peak wattage of 7,185W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30708 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
Since the 30708 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton 30708, which are L29 x W21.5 x H25.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 190 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
Monitoring of the 30708's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30708's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- With a dry weight of 190 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO, with a dry weight of only 118 lbs.
- Given that the 30708 reaches an autonomy of around 11.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 6500, reaching around 14.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.36 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,750 W|
|Starting watts||7,185 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.9/24 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.9/29.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 21.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4587 W||6062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4560 W||5150 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.