Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30708
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30708's core is the 389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5750W and a peak wattage of 7185W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 30708 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Since the 30708 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29 x W21.5 x H25.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 190 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many 30708's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30708's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a weight of 190 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF7250, standing at just 140 lbs.
- The 30708, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 11.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5750 W|
|Starting watts||7185 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.9/24 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||59.9/29.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 21.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4587 W||6062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4560 W||5150 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.