Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30708
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 houses a 389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5750W along with a peak wattage of 7185W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 30708 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 30708 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Briggs & Stratton 30708, which are L29 x W21.5 x H25.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 190 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the 30708’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30708's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As its weight is 190 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- Given that the 30708 reaches an autonomy of around 11.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5750 W|
|Starting watts||7185 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.9/24 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||59.9/29.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 21.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4595 W||6095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||4590 W||5180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.