Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30708
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is powered by a 389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5750W as well as a peak wattage of 7185W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the 30708 can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
As the 30708 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W21.5 x H25.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 190 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the 30708's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Briggs & Stratton also included some oil in the 30708's packaging.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30708 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- With a dry weight of 190 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar G65BN with only 126 pounds.
- The 30708, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 11.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30708 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5750 W|
|Starting watts||7185 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.9/24 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.9/29.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 21.5 x 25.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30708 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4595 W||6095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||4590 W||5180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4460 W||7160 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.