Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30681
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30681 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30681 is powered by a 342 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5000W as well as a peak wattage of 6250W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 30681 can operate for around 12.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.56 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The Briggs & Stratton 30681 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29 x W25 x H27 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 171 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Briggs & Stratton 30681 comes with the usual documentation and user manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Briggs & Stratton 30681 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30681 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30681 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- With a dry weight of 171 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30681 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56500 with only 119 pounds.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12.5 hours at 50% load, the 30681 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.56 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.44 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (171 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||342 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||Metal, 7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 25 x 27 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30681 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.