Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart houses a 224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,700W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the P4500 PowerSmart can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons allows the P4500 PowerSmart to operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The P4500 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Briggs & Stratton generator is RV Ready.
Since the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24.5 x W17.6 x H20.36 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Since the generator weighs 104 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the P4500 PowerSmart's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and fuel level.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The P4500 PowerSmart also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, key fob and oil.
InfoHub™ Portable Power
Briggs & Stratton’s InfoHub™ Portable Power technology allows you to monitor your unit’s vital information such as power usage, run time and fuel level in real time, and directly from your computer or smartphone (via the InfoHub app for iOS or Android).
Besides its monitoring features, InfoHub can also keep you informed about your P4500 PowerSmart status and maintenance needs by sending you scheduled service reminders. It also lets you customize the way your generator communicates with you and can send notifications to your local certified dealer.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 104 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM4600iAEFIC, standing at just 58.4 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 60 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The P4500 PowerSmart, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 16 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- InfoHub™ monitoring
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No parallel ports
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke
|Recoil, Electric, Remote
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24.5 x 17.6 x 20.36 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Oil, funnel, key fob, and battery
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
What is the difference between the 30795 and the 30814? (Asked August 08, 2021)
The 030814 is the newer version. The unit is now CARB-compliant, and offers a remote start as well as Bluetooth connectivity via the InfoHub mobile App.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.