Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3700W and also a peak wattage of 4500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the P4500 PowerSmart can be remotely started (key fob included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons, the P4500 PowerSmart can operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the P4500 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Briggs & Stratton generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L24.5 x W17.6 x H20.36 in), the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 104 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the P4500 PowerSmart's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level and power output and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The P4500 PowerSmart also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and key fob.
InfoHub™ Portable Power
Briggs & Stratton’s InfoHub™ Portable Power technology allows you to monitor your unit’s vital information such as power usage, run time and fuel level in real time, and directly from your computer or smartphone (via the InfoHub app for iOS or Android).
Besides its monitoring features, InfoHub can also keep you informed about your P4500 PowerSmart status and maintenance needs by sending you scheduled service reminders. It also lets you customize the way your generator communicates with you and can send notifications to your local certified dealer.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 60 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The P4500 PowerSmart, offering a run time of up to 16 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200914, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- InfoHub™ monitoring
- Quiet for its power (60 dBA)
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.6 x 20.36 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, key fob, and battery|
|Other model numbers||30814|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
What is the difference between the 30795 and the 30814? (Asked August 08, 2021)
The 030814 is the newer version. The unit is now CARB-compliant, and offers a remote start as well as Bluetooth connectivity via the InfoHub mobile App.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.