Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart houses a 224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3700W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The P4500 PowerSmart can operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
The P4500 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Briggs & Stratton generator is RV Ready.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24.5 x W17.6 x H20.36 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 115 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the P4500 PowerSmart's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours and fuel level and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The P4500 PowerSmart also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart also comes with several accessories, including: oil and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 115 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 60 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The P4500 PowerSmart, offering a run time of up to 16 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen3600DF, with up to 18 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.14 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (60 dBA)
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.6 x 20.36 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.