Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart houses a 224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3700W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as background music).
The fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons allows the P4500 PowerSmart to operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
As the P4500 PowerSmart produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Briggs & Stratton generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W17.6 x H20.36 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the generator's weight is 115 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the P4500 PowerSmart's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level and power output and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The P4500 PowerSmart also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart's package also includes these accessories: oil and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 115 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 60 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The P4500 PowerSmart, offering a run time of up to 16 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen3600DF, as it provides up to 18 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.14 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (60 dBA)
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.6 x 20.36 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and battery|
|Other model numbers||30795|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||4447 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.