Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart's engine, 224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3700W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the P4500 PowerSmart can operate for up to 16 hours (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
The P4500 PowerSmart generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Briggs & Stratton generator is RV Ready.
As the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W17.6 x H20.36 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 115 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many P4500 PowerSmart's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the fuel level, power output and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The P4500 PowerSmart also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 115 lbs, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cummins Onan P4500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The P4500 PowerSmart, offering a run time of up to 16 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.14 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Quiet for its power (60 dBA)
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- No EPA or CARB compliance
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 17.6 x 20.36 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and battery|
|Other model numbers||30795|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||4447 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.