Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower houses a 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5000W along with a peak wattage of 6500W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than background music).
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the Q6500 QuietPower may run for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the Q6500 QuietPower produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Because the Q6500 QuietPower is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L24.8 x W21.2 x H21.5 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 139 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀8") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the Q6500 QuietPower includes power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The Q6500 QuietPower also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and oil. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower weighs only 139 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN6000, standing at just 119 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 66 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the Q6500 QuietPower is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.36 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, with a fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (139 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.2 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||30761|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3992 W||5467 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.