Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is powered by a 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,000W as well as a peak wattage of 6,500W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office).
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the Q6500 QuietPower may run for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The Q6500 QuietPower generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the Q6500 QuietPower is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
Since the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24.8 x W21.2 x H21.5 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 139 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀8") and its telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The Q6500 QuietPower's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The Q6500 QuietPower also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's package also includes these accessories: oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower weighs only 139 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, standing at just 106.9 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 66 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Offering up to 14 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the Q6500 QuietPower is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EU7000iS, with up to 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.36 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM5500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.27 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (139 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.2 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||30761|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3992 W||5467 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.