Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's design includes a gasoline-fueled 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5,000W and also a peak wattage of 6,500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The Q6500 QuietPower can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5 gallons.
As the Q6500 QuietPower produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the Q6500 QuietPower is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
As the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.8 x W21.2 x H21.5 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 139 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀8") and its telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the Q6500 QuietPower's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The Q6500 QuietPower also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's package also includes these accessories: oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower only weighs in at 139 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 66 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the Q6500 QuietPower is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP5500EH, with up to 19 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.36 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP5500EH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.21 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (139 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port
|Power & runtime hours LEDs
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|24.8 x 21.2 x 21.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil and funnel
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Cell phone charger
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.