ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 142
Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's engine, 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 6,500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than background music), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the Q6500 QuietPower can operate for up to 14 hours (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the Q6500 QuietPower generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Q6500 QuietPower holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24.8 x W21.2 x H21.5 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the generator weighs 139 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀8") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the Q6500 QuietPower includes power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The Q6500 QuietPower also benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s CO Guard™ (opens in a new tab) carbon monoxide shutdown. This new patent-pending technology uses advanced algorithms to shut down the generator when harmful levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the generator's operating area.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower, the following accessories are also included: oil and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower weighs only 139 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN5600, with a dry weight of just 103.6 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 66 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the Q6500 QuietPower is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP5500EH, which is able to run for up to 19 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP5500EH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.21 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Guard™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (139 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||6,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.2 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||30761|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Impressive performance. I had purchased the generator about 3 months before being hit by Hurricane Laura. It had not been used. I ran the generator continuously for 10 days and it ran flawlessly. Very fuel efficient consuming only 9 to 10 gallons of gas a day compared to similar wattage of my non-inverter generators that were consuming 16 to18 gallons per day.
No major complaints. I Just wish that it was possible to run this unit in parallel with another 6500. I would then be set.