Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite houses a 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the 30679 Elite can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite has the following dimensions: L34.8 x W22.3 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 224 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀12") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite also comes with some accessories: oil and battery charger are included.
InfoHub™ Portable Power
Briggs & Stratton’s InfoHub™ Portable Power technology allows you to monitor your unit’s vital information such as power usage, run time and fuel level in real time, and directly from your computer or smartphone (via the InfoHub app for iOS or Android).
Besides its monitoring features, InfoHub can also keep you informed about your 30679 Elite status and maintenance needs by sending you scheduled service reminders. It also lets you customize the way your generator communicates with you and can send notifications to your local certified dealer.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 224 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is one of the heavier generators producing between 7500 and 8500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of only 185 lbs.
- As for its autonomy, the 30679 Elite, with an autonomy of 9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman H08053, boasting with 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WPro8500, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- InfoHub™ monitoring
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (224 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||34.8 x 22.3 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and battery charger|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.