Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite's build contains a gasoline-fueled 420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the 30679 Elite can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite has the following dimensions: L34.8 x W22.3 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 224 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀12") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite, the following accessories are also included: battery charger and oil.
InfoHub™ Portable Power
Briggs & Stratton’s InfoHub™ Portable Power technology allows you to monitor your unit’s vital information such as power usage, run time and fuel level in real time, and directly from your computer or smartphone (via the InfoHub app for iOS or Android).
Besides its monitoring features, InfoHub can also keep you informed about your 30679 Elite status and maintenance needs by sending you scheduled service reminders. It also lets you customize the way your generator communicates with you and can send notifications to your local certified dealer.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its dry weight is 224 pounds, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 7500 to 8500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of just 185 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 30679 Elite falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H08053, with around 12 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Westinghouse WPro8500 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- InfoHub™ monitoring
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (224 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||34.8 x 22.3 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and battery charger|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton 30679 Elite is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.