Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's build contains a gasoline-fueled 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5000W and also a peak wattage of 6500W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the Q6500 QuietPower can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the Q6500 QuietPower produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the Q6500 QuietPower is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L27.7 x W23.2 x H22.3 in), the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 128 lbs. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the Q6500 QuietPower includes power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower also is packed along with the following accessories: oil and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower has only 128 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56500, standing at just 119 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 66 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing 14 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the Q6500 QuietPower falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with 20 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.36 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.28 GPH, the Honda EU7000iS is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 23.2 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.