Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's design includes a gasoline-fueled 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5000W and also a peak wattage of 6500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the Q6500 QuietPower may run for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the Q6500 QuietPower generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the Q6500 QuietPower holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Since the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is an inverter generator, its closed design (L27.7 x W23.2 x H22.3 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 128 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the Q6500 QuietPower's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and oil.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower weighs just 128 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a dry weight of only 107 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 66 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the Q6500 QuietPower, reaching up to 14 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5300s, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300v. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.24 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 23.2 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||30675|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3992 W||5467 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3985 W||4405 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.