Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In a nutshell, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's core is the 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5000W and a peak wattage of 6500W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the Q6500 QuietPower can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
As the Q6500 QuietPower produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the Q6500 QuietPower bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L27.7 x W23.2 x H22.3 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
As the generator's weight is 128 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the Q6500 QuietPower includes power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and oil.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower has only 128 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, with a dry weight of just 107 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 66 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the Q6500 QuietPower, with an autonomy of up to 14 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5300s, with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.36 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.24 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 23.2 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||30675|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Is the Q6500 electric start? (Asked February 26, 2020)
This unit only has a classic recoil start.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.