Zoom on the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower
In summary, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's core is the 306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5000W and a peak wattage of 6500W.
At a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The Q6500 QuietPower can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5 gallons.
The Q6500 QuietPower generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.Since the Q6500 QuietPower bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L27.7 x W23.2 x H22.3 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 128 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀8") and a telecospic handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the Q6500 QuietPower's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with power use LEDs that can both display the power output and the amount of hours the generator has accumulated.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
The unit benefits from Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology (QPT™), a feature designed to greatly improve its noise levels, emissions and fuel consumption. When the switch, located on the control panel, is turned ON, the engine speed increases as electrical loads are connected, and decreases as electrical loads are removed.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower, the following accessories are also included: oil and funnel.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower weighs only 128 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56500, standing at just 119 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 66 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the Q6500 QuietPower, with an autonomy of up to 14 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with up to 20 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.36 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.28 GPH, the Honda EU7000iS is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (128 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (66 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||306 cc Briggs & Stratton OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power & runtime hours LEDs|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.7 x 23.2 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About Briggs & Stratton
Founded in 1908, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Briggs & Stratton is a well renowned American based gasoline engine manufacturer. While the company mainly focuses on engines – including outdoor, power tool, karting, cast iron and aluminum models, power generators are a crucial component of their portfolio as well – Briggs & Stratton provides both portable and standby solutions for casual users with full support, including installation. The company operates on a global scale, with 13 facilities spread across all the of the continents.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 QuietPower is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Briggs & Stratton generators, please consult Briggs & Stratton's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-743-4115.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.